P is for Patience

P is for Patience.

We see the lack of it everyday-the angry person in the check-out line, road rage, the ATM won't work, a parent loosing control their with a child, etc.  

 I have been patiently waiting for the Fiddlehead ferns to unfurl. 


Then we see how bad tempers and behavior can enable the
squeaky wheels getting their grease, first. 



"According to a 2007 study by Fuller Theological Seminary professor Sarah A. Schnitker and UC Davis psychology professor Robert Emmons, patient people tend to experience less depression and negative emotions, perhaps because they can cope better with upsetting or stressful situations. They also rate themselves as more mindful and feel more gratitude, more connection to mankind and to the universe, and a greater sense of abundance." 


Are patient people happier? 

Other studies suggest yes-because patient people still have hope!

We all can lose our patience-but practicing gratitude, being mindful when you notice your mood change and start to feel angry-take a deep breath.  Try to calm down-one article I read said, 
 "Is this worth a heart attack?"  No, so adjust your feelings to the situation. 

You can try to look at the world with different eyes. Maybe this person is sick or having a bad day, or maybe you are wasting time focusing on the late person, the disgruntled person in line.  Those 15-20 minutes can be best spent elsewhere. 

I know easier said than done, but: 



Patient people are more likely to achieve their goals! 

"According to Schnitker’s analysis, that greater satisfaction with achieving their goals explained why these patient achievers were more content with their lives as a whole."


  

Comments

That's a good point about patience - losing it means we've lost hope, in either the situation or our ability to deal with it.
Karen Baldwin said…
Love your "P" post. So many don't have patience and the affect on our body is measurable. Living here in Mexico I've had to learn patience...it's not that things are done necessarily slower here, but different. I have remind myself that I chose to live here and honor their this culture even though it makes me crazy sometimes.
Arlee Bird said…
I agree with the points about patience that you bring up. I've always been a fairly patient person and I think it's paid off in giving me greater inner peace. I do feel like a happy person partly due to this patience.

One bit of advice to those who experience impatience is to give yourself time to do what you are setting out to do. I think a lot of people who get impatient tend to be in a state of rushing around because they leave late to where they are going and don't prepare properly. Also when you have to wait, instead of fidgeting or getting angry take that time to read, contemplate other things you have to do or absorb yourself in thought, or if others are also waiting, talk to them. If they are also experiencing the anxiety of waiting the diversion of conversation can make it easier and often more fun to wait. Who knows? You might even make a new friend.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out
Anonymous said…
Gagan Parashar, Owner of X-Ciel Technologies, is running a SCAM business.

He claims to be able to provide many different services but he will take your money and then run.

DO NOT EVER DO BUSINESS WITH GAGAN PARASHAR OR X-CIEL TECHNOLOGIES.

Their company address is:

X-Ciel Technologies
(X-Ciel Consulting Pvt.Ltd.)
GF/Office-5, C-4, Sector-63,
Noida-201301, (U.P.) India
+91(120)456-222-7
info@x-cieltech.com
Website: www.x-cieltech.com
Stephanie Faris said…
When I was young, someone told me that having kids teaches you patience. Maybe you have no choice but to develop it? I never really developed it...maybe it's because I didn't have children?!
Sherry Blue Sky said…
Looks like you have a spammer, kiddo....I am very patient, and I believe happier than the people around me who flip their lids over small things and are always in a knot.........patience is a good topic. I enjoyed this.
Ella said…
Hi Sherry! Yes, you are an extremely patient person! I hear yeah, I know a few lid flippers-no fun! Thank you~

Stephanie-Maybe, maybe not! I bet you do have patience-in some area of your life~ I agree kids do help with this, but there are other ways, too~

Arlee-I would for sure think you were a patient person, you developed The A-Z Blogging challenge. I love the new friend idea~ Another fun thing to do in a check out line is start laughing and see how many others will join in! ;D Thanks, for the tips, Lee~

Em-Thank you! I am sure it is tough sometimes. I have lived in some odd situations-an island in the Aleutian Chain. It does make you think about other rituals and celebrations.

Alex-Well put! Yes, it might be temporary-but it can destroy others hope of you~ Thanks for making that point~
betty said…
I remember years ago being more impatience than I am right now. I really prayed to be patient; of course I got so many different situations where I had to learn patience and I did so so much more better than those days. Still have a way to go, but it truly is better to be patient than to get all worked up with usually things we can't control.

thanks for visiting :)

betty
http://viewsfrombenches.blogspot.com/